You can see August just over the fence. Believe it or not, as you sweat in the shade, summer will soon be fading away. Time for a nutritious ice cream option. Yes!
This ice cream recipe contains healthy fat from coconut milk and almond butter. It also incorporates collagen peptides for a healthy dose of high-quality protein.
What are collagen peptides you ask? More on that below, but essentially it is a healthy food supplement you can make yourself. Or buy if you either are too busy or too lazy to undertake the time required. But first, on with the ice cream!
Makes 5 to 6 servings
- 2 cans full-fat coconut milk
- ½ cup raw cacao powder
- 1 tablespoon tapioca starch
- ¼ cup collagen peptides
- ½ cup maple syrup
- ½ tablespoon vanilla extract
- ⅓ cup + 1 tablespoon creamy almond butter
- Add in a medium saucepan coconut milk, cacao powder, and tapioca starch. Whisk to blend.
- Start cooking over medium heat.
- Stir frequently.
- Add collagen peptides.
- Continue to cook until mixture starts to bubble.
- Remove from heat.
- Stir in almond butter, maple syrup, and vanilla extract.
- Whisk until everything is combined.
- Sit off stove about 30 minutes until the whisked contents come to room temperature.
- Pour into a 9-by-5-inch loaf pan.
- Cover with parchment paper or aluminum foil.
- Place in the freezer for at least 8 hours, or ideally overnight.
- Allow to soften before serving, 10 to 15 minutes.
- Scoop and enjoy!
About Collagen Peptides
- A Registered Dietician, Mascha Davis, provides some basic information about collagen. She points out that as a protein-packed powder is tasteless, it is very versatile. It also is available as a homemade broth.
- You may already be aware of the power of collagen and have also started adding it to your smoothie. If so you probably noticed your nails growing stronger and hair getting longer. That’s because it is complete protein, one of the building blocks of the human body. You will find it benefits healing the gut, boosting metabolism, reducing cellulite, and increasing skin elasticity.
- The nutritional supplement, collagen, comes in two forms: gelatin and peptides. Both have similar amino acid profiles, thus health benefits. The peptide form is further broken down during processing. As a result peptides are more bioavailable. This creates a difference in how you add it to your diet. Gelatin gels (big surprise!). Collagen peptides completely dissolve in both hot and cold liquid and will never gel(maybe this is a surprise too). Peptides soluble nature allow them to be easily stirred into a variety of recipes. Additionally, collagen peptides have the ability to withstand high heat and are great to cook and bake with.
Bone broth is a way to access gelatin collagen. We’ll deal with the process of creating bone broth in another issue.